‘All American’ Wins at Second Annual NY Bull Burger Battle
Joe Saccente of Shrub Oak, New York is headed to The World Food Championships after winning the second annual New York Bull Burger Battle at Best in Backyards in Mahopac, New York on June 6, 2015.
Saccente, a returning competitor who came in last place at the first annual Best in Backyards New York Bull Burger Battle, went with a simple burger this year. He called it “The All American Cheeseburger.” It incorporated ground beef (80/20), garlic, onion, salt, pepper, tomato, lettuce and American cheese on a seeded potato roll.
A father of two and an iron worker, Saccente was ecstatic to hear the news.
“I can’t believe I won,” he said, adding that he thought the burger would place somewhere “middle of the road.”
With the first-place title comes a Bull Lonestar Grill Cart, valued at $2,300, and a trip for two to Kissimmee, Florida to compete on Team Bull in the World Food Championships this November.
The event drew a large crowd, with families enjoying face painting, free food, live radio entertainment from 100.7 WHUD, product demonstrations (think pizza on a Bull grill!), giveaways and great competition.
“The second annual New York Bull Burger Battle was a huge success,” said Rolf Zimmermann, Vice President of Sales for Eastern Jungle Gym. “We think it’s safe to say a great time was had by all.”
Best in Backyards extends a big “thank you” to all the competitors and judges (Mike Bennett of 100.7 WHUD; Will Hanson of Bull Outdoor Products; Thom Ianniccari of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce and Allan Twitty Insurance; and Bill Pope of the Greater Mahopac-Carmel Chamber of Commerce and the Positive Zone).
Here’s the full list of scores from the event:
- Mr. Dirt’s BBQ (Saccente, Joe) 91.6667
- Red Planet BBQ (Conti, Dave) 87
- Big Rock BBQ (Jullianelle, Rocky) 86.1667
- Three Men and a Baby Back (Reed, Dana) 85
- TailGateJoe.com (Maino, Joe) 84.6667
- Holihan’s Beer Me BBQ (Holihan, Chris) 83.8333
- Swamp Pit BBQ (Day, Skip) 83.5
- Sloppy Seconds Dry Aged Burgers (Friedman, Greg) 82.8333
- Wake-n-Bacon Team BBQ (Bellomo, Craig) 82.3333
- TBD BBQ (Herman, Dan) 82
- BBQ Buddha (Sheehan, Ray) 79.3333
- Booby-Q (Erickson, Robert) 77.6667
- Crafty ‘Cue BBQ (Bucolo, Tim) 75.8333
- Crossroads Deli and Catering (Russell, James) 74.8333
Find more photos on our Facebook page.